Well today I will discuss most useful Open source CMS in PHP. CMS stands for Content Management System. CMS is revolution in the world of web designing as well as developers. With help of CMS a layman person can also maintain and design his/her website very easily. Here we will discuss some awesome open source content management systems with key features.
What is CMS:
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage.
The wordpress very well known for ‘Best Blogging Platform’ but after wordpress 3.0 it was become full-fledged content management system. wordpress has large collection of plugins and themes.Its very easy to handle by admin as well as developer.
It has many features
- Full standards compliance
- Cross-blog communication tools
- Full user registration
- Spam protection
- Multiple authors
- Password Protected Posts
- Intelligent text formatting
- search engine friendly URLs
Drupal first version 1.0 was reliseed 2001,now its most popular cms in open source.With help of Drupal we can create personal blogs to enterprise applications. There are thousands of add-on modules and designs are available. Now drupal launch 7.0 new version of drupal which has many extensive features like ajax based admin and many new in built modules.
Main features of Drupal
- discussion forum
- News Publishing
- syndicated RSS
- Role management
Jommla is also open source CMS.Its very easy to handle and advanced CMS in terms of functionality. Jommla used for community web portal, online magazines, E-Commerce applications , – inventory control systems, data reporting tools, reservation systems, integrate E-Commerce systems, custom product catalogs and so on.
Main features of Joomla:
Mambo is a full-featured, award-winning content management system . Its used for everything from small businesses,enterprises application and personal sites. It is used all over the world to power government portals, corporate intranets and extranets, ecommerce sites, nonprofit outreach, schools, church, and community sites.
Main Features of Mambo:
• Completely database driven site engine;
• Internationalisation (UTF-8);
• Localisation (interface translation);
• Page caching mechanism to improve performance on busy sites;
• Advertising management (banners, etc);
• News, products or services sections fully editable and manageable;
• Topics sections can be added to by contributing authors;
• Media (images, documents) upload and management.;
• Content publication scheduling;
• Content syndication (RSS);
• Search engine friendly (SEF) URL’s;
• Dynamic Forum/Poll/Voting booth for on-the-spot results;
• Fully customisable layouts;
• Simple but powerful template system (no complex templating syntax to learn);
• Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX server, Solaris and AIX
Symphony is an open source CMS that enables users to create and manage websites and web applications of all shapes and sizes. Symphony can be used for simplest of blogs ,news sites and feature-packed social networks. With Symphony, you can build everything whatever you are able to create other CMS.
Main features of MODx
• Easy, intuitive content creation and updating
• Intuitive and Customizable Manage.
• Write now, publish later(schedule post).
• Multiple Authors
• Search Friendly, Customizable and Strict SEO URLs
• User Registration
• Comment Spam Control
• Auto Promote—Automatically Tweet and post to Facebook new articles when you publish them in MODX.
• Smart Typography
TYPO3 is a great Content Management System with a ton of useful features. TYPO3 is an enterprise-class, Open Source CMS (Content Management System), used internationally to build and manage websites of all types, from small sites for non-profits to multilingual enterprise solutions for large corporations. You can run and edit any kind of site, personal or business, without learning HTML, CSS, programming, or web design with help of TYPO3.
Main features of TYPO3
• Easy templating
• True WYSIWYG editing
• Intuitive AJAX drag & drop
• Granular permissions control
• Extensive documentationLll
• Powerful extension frameworkG
• Flexible designsG
• Automatic caching
CMS Made Simple
CMS Made Simple™ is an open source ( GPL) package first released in July 2004.This is smarty based open source.Its very esay to install, flexible, unobtrusive and manageable.It has many extensive plugin like user management,polls,blogs etc.CMS Made Simple™ provides a mechanism for the website administrator to create and manage “pages”, their layout, and their content. CMS Made Simple™ is unobtrusive…. You can create a table based layout, or a fully validating XHTML/CSS layout.
Main features CMS Made Simple
• SEO Friendly URLs
• Integrated and online help
• Modular and extensible
• Easy user and group management
• Group-based permission system
• Full template support, for unlimited looks without changing a line of content
• Easy wizard based install and upgrade procedures
• Minimal server requirements
• Admin panel with multiple language support
• Content hierarchy with unlimited depth and size
• Integrated file manager w/ upload capabilities
• Integrated audit log
• Friendly support in forums and irc
• Small footprint
Frog CMS simplifies content management by offering an elegant user interface, flexible templating per page, simple user management and permissions, as well as the tools necessary for file management. Frog requires PHP5, a MySQL database or SQLite 3 with PDO, and a web server (Apache with mod_rewrite is highly recommended).
Main features of Frog CMS
• Unlimited hierarchically structured page navigation menu
• Drag and drop page ordering
• Flexible page content: body, sidebar, extended, summary
• Per page layout customization
• Simple and reusable content snippets
• Password protected administration
• Simple user and permission management
• File manager (plugin) allows you to upload, browse and edit files